As I am sure the regulars of this site are aware, I am way, way behind on my database maintenance. Part of the reason is that adding new games to the list is always controversial, and another part of the reason has to do with the crazy busy schedule I’ve had lately. But the biggest reason is that adding games to the database takes time. I need to dig up a lot of information about each game before I can add it, and it is not uncommon for the process to take several hours.
Recently, fourms member SyberiaWinx wrote me to complain about my failure to add Ronin Blade (aka Soul of the Samurai) to the database. She was kind enough to supply all the information I need to actually add the game, making the process much, much easier on me (though I still need to see more information about this game before I’m convinced it’s horror, but that’s another issue altogether).
So maybe instead of waiting around for me to get my ass in gear and update the database, you guys can help me out. Below I’ve listed a bunch of games that I know are missing from the database, as well as the information I need to be able to add each game. If you have some free time and want to expedite the game-adding process, it would be super helpful if you could dig up this information and post it here. It will cut down my time-to-add time by close to 90%.
Here’s the info I need before I can add a game to the database:
- The name of the title in all regions that it was released
- The release date in North America. If it didn’t come out in North America, the release date in its country of origin.
- The regions (America, Japan, Europe) that the game was released in.
- The systems (PC, PS2, Xbox360, etc) that the game was released on.
- The average score of at least 10 reviews. You can use GameFaqs or MetaCritic as long as they have > 10 reviews, but if those sites do not list the game or do not contain enough reviews, you need to track down more. The world score isn’t useful unless there are a minimum of 10 reviews computed in the average. GameFaqs user reviews are unreliable and should only be used as a last resort. Please post links to the reviews you used to calculate the average. Please calculate the actual decimal average of the reviews as X/100.
- Links to at least five screen shots, ideally at 640×448 resolution or larger for PS1 and PS2 games. Ideally showing game play and not menus or cut scenes. Ideally with no other review site’s water mark (IGN, etc) on the image.
- The name of the developer.
- Any official web sites that may exist.
Here are the games that I know I am missing. Feel free to suggest other games or tell me that some of the items in this list are wrong. Please review the inclusion requirements before posting.
- Twilight Syndrome Saikai (and perhaps the rest of the Twilight Syndrome series–need more info)
- Soul of the Samurai (if it is indeed a horror game)
Gakkou no Kaidan G (maybe; can’t find any info about this game)(discarded!)
Silent Hill 5(added!)
Dino Crisis (1, and maybe 2)(Added!)
Escape from Bug Island (begrudgingly)(added!)
Condemned 2 (I guess? Is this series really about horror?)(added!)
- Vampire Rain (maybe? if it’s more than a brawler/shooter with vampires, I’m game)
- Harker (maybe? again, don’t know enough about it)
- Alan Wake (looks awesome, but is it horror?)
(Thanks to various forum members for helping to compile this list)
So, what do you think? If you think one of these games, or even some other game that I don’t have listed here is quest-worthy, and if you have some spare time on your hands, it would be pretty awesome if you could help me track the requisite information down.