It’s been a busy summer for indie horror game announcements. There are so many horror games in development, looking for funding, or recently shipped that you might think the world has gone insane. Actually, I think the real reason is that we suddenly have platforms where niche communities (like this one) can vote with their wallets for the types of games they want, and it turns out a lot of them want horror games.
Here are a bunch of games you should consider / back / play / keep an eye on. This is far from an exhaustive list! Please add your favorites in the comments.
- Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs is out on Steam. Developed by The Chinese Room, the guys behind Dear Esther, this is one you should go play now.
- Outlast is another popular recent release that I haven’t played because it’s Windows-only. Check it out.
- The Long Dark probably isn’t a horror game per se, but the folks working on it are all awesome and it promises to tread ground familiar to any horror aficionado.
- Neverending Nightmares is a horror game looking for funding. Love the Edward Gorey art style!
- Long Night is another horror game trying to raise development funds. This one promises psychological scares without the need for combat or gore.
- Finally, here’s another shot of the game I’m working on. No details, yet!