I am not sure what it is about the Survival Horror genre that attracts film makers. Most horror games are heavily influenced by cinema anyway, which might make people who produce films comfortable.
Regardless, I think it is important to remember that there has never, ever been a good movie made based on a video game license. Resident Evil was bad, Street Fighter was terrible, and Super Mario Bros. was god-awful. I suppose the Mortal Kombat was the most successful: it spawned a series of terrible sequels.
Well my friends, more video game movies are on the way, and they all seem horror oriented.
- Alone In The Dark trailer.
- House of the Dead trailer/site. I shouldn’t judge this movie until I see it, but I gotta say…. it looks super lame.
- Silent Hill announcement via IGN.
- Fatal Frame announcement via IGN.
- Onimusha announcement via IGN.
- Devil May Cry announcement via IGN.
- Eternal Darkness announcement via IGN.
I guess we’ll have to wait and see what the film makers behind these productions do, but my hopes are pretty amazingly low. I guess I can see some potential for Silent Hill or Fatal Frame turning out well, as those games rely heavily on mood. The fact that the trailer for House of the Dead starts with “teenagers, at a rave, on an island full of zombies!!” pretty much ruins any hopes I might have had for that flick.